What You Need to Know
The first step in the process is to submit the Stage 1, Endorsement application and you will be allocated Unique Reference Number from the UK Border Agency. This request must state the appropriate Designated Competent Body to endorse the applicant. The endorsing body that you choose will send its endorsement decision to the Home Office. You will then be notified by the Home Office about the outcome of your endorsement application.
Just as with the Exceptional Talent visa, applicants to the Global Talent visa must be endorsed by an organisation designated by the Home Office to develop sector-specific criteria and consider individual applications on its behalf. In each case you will need a substantial body of work and support from experts in your field. Once you have been endorsed, you will be able to apply for a Global Talent visa (Stage 2, immigration application).
You can be endorsed in the fields of science, engineering, medicine, humanities, digital technology, the arts and culture (including film and television, fashion design and architecture).
The relevant Home Office approved endorsing bodies are:
- The Royal Society – for natural and medical science applications
- The Royal Academy of Engineering – for engineering applications
- The British Academy – for humanities and social science applications
- Arts Council England – for arts, culture, fashion, architecture, film and television applications
- Tech Nation– for digital technology applications
- UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) – for science and research applications
Once you successfully get endorsed by any of the aforementioned bodies, you can submit your immigration application (Stage 2) for a Global Talent visa along with the following documents:
- Current valid passport
- Passport-sized photograph
- Letter of endorsement from a designated body
- Medical test report for Tuberculosis (if applicable)
In stage two, the Home Office will consider immigration aspects of your application including whether general grounds for refusal apply and, if you are in the UK already, whether you are eligible to switch into the Global Talent category from your current immigration category. You are not able to live and work in the UK as a Global Talent migrant until you have made a successful stage two application.
The validity of Global Talent visa is a maximum of 5 years, both for those applying from the outside of the UK and applicants applying from within the UK.
You can apply for a Global Talent/Promise visa if you work in a qualifying field and have been endorsed as:
A recognised leader (global talent)
An emerging leader (global promise)
What are the Eligibility Requirements for a Global Talent Visa?
Each Designated Endorsement Body has their own unique eligibility requirements, and it is crucial you understand them. The requirements vary depending on the category you are applying, Tier 1 Exceptional Talent or Tier 1 Exceptional Promise.
Key criteria for Tech Nation
One of the key criteria must be met.
- Be able to show that you have a proven track of innovation in digital technology sector as a Director or founder of a product - led digital technology or an employee
- Be able to provide evidence of innovation in the field digital technology sector as a Director or founder of a product - led digital technology or an employee
- Proof of recognition for work outside your immediate occupation that has contributed to the advancement of the sector
Qualifying criteria for Tech Nation
At least two of the qualifying criteria must be met.
- Be able to show evidence of significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contribution in the digital field OR
- Be able to show that you have been recognised as a leading talent in the digital technology sector OR
- Be able to show that you have been recognised as having the potential to be a leading talent in the digital technology sector
- Be able to show continuous learning/mastery of new digital skills (commercial or technical)
- Be able to demonstrate exceptional ability in the field of making a contribution OR
- Be able to provide examples of exceptional ability in the field of making academic
In addition, you should be able to nominate three experienced professionals in the digital technology field, should you apply using Tech Nation, who can vouch for your contribution in the industry